- All classes have a Geography theme that makes links and comparisons to Britain and our place in the world, focus is given to the British Isles, England and Norfolk with map and flag work.
- Britain during historical times (Roman/Saxon/stone Age…)
- Learning about British people, for example: Howard Carter, Tim Peak, Edith Cavell.
- Values recognised of community; self, school, Norfolk, GB and the world.
- Regular School council meetings are held with a chair person and a scribe
- Regular house meetings with members from each class.
- Feedback from School Council and house meetings are discussed with the Head teacher and decisions made.
- Yr 6 have specific jobs to help run the school
- Class jobs
- School Ambassadors
- Children work with other yr groups- developing an approach of working together, listening and sharing. Peer assessment. Cross class activities.
- The use of Newsround, regular Current Affairs learning and newspaper clip displays keeps the children up to date with relevant news
- Philosophy lessons allow the children to develop their ‘freedom of speech’, their right to talk and be listened to and their debating skills.
- Assemblies have regular British Values links
- Assemblies linked to British History- St George’s Day/ Trafalgar Day/Queen’s reign
- Our school’s key values are displayed in classes and referred to: empathy, confidence, resilience, respect, positivity, independence
- Work with the local community, including performance, charity work, visits and visitors.
- Showing politeness and manners at the: local Library, church and supermarket. Good manners are rewarded (HPs/Gold etc)
- Helping the community by: Redwings Support, SIS Buddies, Shoe Box appeal, Local Library competition,
- International links – Racecourse School- Nairobi
- Chloe Smith MP correspondence
- Interviewing children and parents- what does being British mean?
- Pupil Voice
- Equality- Philosophy debates about respect and tolerance
- Focus on growth mindset- grit/determination
- History of Britain- Roman invasion, Saxon and Viking changes in Britain. Link to Ancient Greek democracy- influences on Britain.
- Timeline displayed in class
- RE- tolerance of other people’s views, understanding of how we all can live together- diversity… Links between Gods
- Visits and visitors: PC/PSCO, MP/ High School visitors/Authors/PE specialists/ RNLI spokesman/local zoo/past students/Olympians
- Link to elections- in school voting
- Links to business- enterprise work, inventions, presentations to panels ( Dragon’s Den style)
- Being part of competitions- in school, in the community.
- School council with cluster schools
- Sign language concert
- Creative Arts Project with Into Opera